- Ahmet Hamdi Tanpınar, The Time Regulation Institute: Adopting a symbolist style of expression in literature, Tanpınar’s this work includes psycho-social values and is considered one of the cornerstones of Turkish literature.
- Mario Levi, Ayçiçekleri, Her Gece bir Yalnızlığa Bakar: This psychological fiction book is the first novel of Levi’s trilogy, which he called Teğet Geçen Hayatlar. The focus of the book is shaped on the current era and the dilemmas experienced by the urban people.
- Tiffany Watt Smith, The Book of Human Emotions: An Encyclopaedia of Feeling from Anger to Wanderlust: In the book, in which 154 of the countless emotions experienced in different parts and cultures of the world today are selected; concepts such as gender, race, class, sexuality are examined within the scope of many emotions that we experience but cannot name. In the book, these feelings, which are supported by philosophical views and scientific theories, are handled in a way that is both instructive and fluent.
- Clarissa Pinkola Estés, Women Who Run with the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype: The book touches on the women’s awareness of their strength and creativity by listening to their inner voices, in terms of the bond between wolves and women, goes deep into the female psyche through fairy tales.
- Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being: Kundera’s most well-known novel, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which has become one of the contemporary classics, tells about the days of Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia in the background, and in the foreground various social life rules are based on novel characters.
- Yukio Mishima, The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea: Combining terror with a lyrical expression and describing violence in a unique way, Mishima introduces this book by saying, “Perfect purification is only possible by transforming life into a line of poetry written in blood.” In the book, we can see various sections from the author’s life, and as one of Mishima’s most impressive works, it brings a new breath to the concepts of the sea and the sailor.
NEW MUSIC DISCOVERY
- Birileri, Daha Deli
- Sena Şener, Gerçek Değil
- Nova Norda, Benzin
- Absynthe Minded, Epic Fail
- GIPSY KINGS by Andre Reyes will be at Zorlu PSM on September 19th!
- Jazz in the Jungle with Zuhal Olcay will be at YBY Woods / Kemerburgaz Kent Ormanı on September 20th!
- Dolu Kadehi Ters Tut is getting ready to give a brand new concert experience on September 22nd at the Red Bull Jukebox Stage, Küçükçiftlik Park. The group will also take the stage at YBY Woods/ Kemerburgaz Kent Ormanı on October 27th!
- Armin van Buuren will give a concert on September 22nd at Life Park Istanbul!
- Teoman will be at Harbiye Cemil Topuzlu Open Air Stage on September 22nd with his Koyu Antoloji concert, which has the same name as his 2018 album. In this concert of his a string band is added to his orchestra, unlike his other performances!
- Oscar & the Wolf, one of the leading groups of Indie pop, will be at Küçükçiftlik Park on September 23rd!
- Garou, who became famous around the world thanks to his role as Quasimodo in the musical Notre Dame de Paris, is giving a concert at Istanbul VW Arena on October 27th!
- Live From Istanbul Fest, which will feature famous bands, artists, musicians, DJ’s such as David Guetta, Meduza, Mistajam, Abel, Teoman, Tan Taşçı, Gripin and Funda Arar, will be at Festival Park Yenikapı on September 29th,30th and October 1st!
- Playing the leading role in Istanbul’s culture and art history, Beyoğlu is hosting a festival called Beyoğlu Kültür Yolu Festivali between September 30th and October 15th at Galataport Istanbul!
- About Dry Grasses, a Nuri Bilge Ceylan film that made a big impression at the Cannes Film Festival this year and won the “Best Actress” award to Merve Dizdar, will be in theaters as of September 29th.
- Killers of the Flower Moon, the highly anticipated film of director Martin Scorsese, whose cast includes important actors such as Leonardo di Caprio, Robert de Niro and Brendan Fraser, is expected to meet the audience at the end of October.
- In the film Ferrari, which tells the story of Enzo Ferrari, the founder of the luxury car company, we see Michael Mann in the director’s chair, and there are actors in the cast such as Adam Driver, Penélope Cruz, Shailene Woodley. It is one of the films that must be seen in the last months of 2023. The release date is not yet known in Turkey.
- The Social Dilemma, which offers an examination of how social media feeds addiction, manipulating people’s opinions, feelings and behaviors, and spreading disinformation, can be watched on Netflix.
- The docuseries The Mind Explained broadcasts a documentary series on Netflix. Narrated by Emma Stone in its first season and Julianne Moore in its second season, we see that themes such as what goes on in the brain of a person when he/she dreams or takes drugs that cause hallucinations are examined.
- Zerrin Tekindor’s one-player female play Toz, written by Murat Mahmutyazıcıoğlu, will be at Zorlu PSM on September 11th and 12th!
- Aydınlıkevler, written by Yılmaz Erdoğan and starring Demet Akbağ and Salih Bademci, will be at Maximum Uniq on September 12th-14th-26th!
- Adapted from Anthony Burgess’ impressive novel A Clockwork Orange with the same title, the play will be at Zorlu PSM Turkcell Stage on September 28th!
- The Time Regulation Institute, the immortal work of Ahmet Hamdi Tanpınar, adapted for the stage under the direction of Serdar Biliş, will be at Zorlu PSM on October 8th!
- Amadeus, the unique story of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Antonio Salieri, the unforgettable composers of world music history, written by Peter Shaffer, will be at Zorlu PSM on October 10th!
- The world-famous Jekyll & Hyde musical adapted from Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic thriller will be at Harbiye Cemil Topuzlu Open Air Theater on October 15th!
- The Tony Award-winning masterpiece Küheylan, staged 1200 times on Broadway, featuring artists such as Kerem Alışık, Emir Özden, Hatice Aslan, Devrim Nas, Açelya Devrim Yılhan, fictionalized and penned by Amadeus’ playwright Peter Shaffer, inspired by a real event. It will be at Zorlu PSM on October 22nd!
- The 18th edition of Contemporary Istanbul will take place this year at Tersane Istanbul between September 27th – October 1st!
- Hilal Can’s solo exhibition titled Gece Gezenler, named after Tomris Uyar’s Gecegezen Kızlar, can be visited at Haliç Sanat 2. Fener Evi until the end of September!
- The most comprehensive exhibition of Cengiz Çekil, one of the pioneers of conceptual art in Turkey, called Bugün de Yaşıyorum can be visited at Arter until October 22nd.
- Aziz Istanbul exhibition, curated by Dr.Fani-Maria Tsigakou and Hülya Bilgi at Galata Rum Okulu, will be open to art lovers until November 12th.
- Başka Kayda Rastlanmadı: Reşad Ekrem Koçu ve İstanbul Ansiklopedisi Arşivi prepared within the scope of Reşad Ekrem Koçu and the Istanbul Encyclopedia Archive, which Salt has been conducting since 2018 in collaboration with Kadir Has University, can be visited until October 29th at Salt Galata. .
- Focusing on a mental and perceptual transitivity, consisting of works that contain the dualities of chaos/order, light/shadow, space/fullness, surface/depth, interior/exterior, which brings together a selection of old and new productions of the artist with a site-specific architectural arrangement, Nuri Kuzucan’s exhibition titled Pasaj can be seen at Arter until December 31st.
- Sesli Resim a brand new and quite creative podcast channel that you can visualize by just listening to the descriptions of paintings or photographs before seeing them. You can see the depicted image later on @sesliresim.podcast Instagram account and compare it with the image you envision.
- BBC Learning English Drama is a podcast channel where you can improve your English by listening to the narrators with reinterpretations of both classic and new stories.
The James Webb Space Telescope discovered the most distant star in the universe: The star named Earendel, which took 12.9 billion years for its light to arrive, is thought to have formed about one billion years after the Big Bang, which took place 13.8 billion years ago.
Prepared by: Nazperi YILMAZ